Thursday 30 April 2009

Thursday 30 April 2009

Been really bad at updating my blog this week - but will try to catch up .....



After my 16 mile walk on 18 April my feet were sore!!! I did however manage to walk to work twice that week I think on the Monday and Wednesday, but my feet were suffering, so I decided not to walk on the Friday as originally planned and gave my feet a few extra days to recover! I'm really glad I did.

On Sunday, 26 April, I set off again for another 16 mile walk, same route as before. I smothered my feet in Vaseline and used powder in my socks to try to keep them cool. The weather was really hot, well it felt really hot to me!!!! I felt sorry for all those people doing the London Marathon that day. When I stopped at my sister in laws, at about 8 miles, I covered my heels with the Compeed Anti Blister Stick. Anyway all was going well, until again at the 14 mile mark, my feet started to get sore! By the time I got home I felt as if I could hardly walk!!!! I think my main problem is how to prevent blisters, I feel that if I could do that then everything else would be okay (well that's my theory!!!!) My legs were also very achy again that evening, not bad as long as I kept moving, but when I'd been sitting for a while it was difficult to get moving again!!!!

Well that evening I once again got on the Internet and did some more research! I've ordered the Troo North insoles and some socks with very padded heels (which is the area I keep getting blisters), can't remember the make, but they were recommended by a few people in the Facebook Walk the Walk Group. I hope these will help and hope to give them a try out this weekend.

Surprisingly the next morning I didn't feel too bad, I'm encouraged by the fact that my recovery time is quick!!!

I decided that this week I would try walking home from work rather than walking to work, the early mornings are getting to me! I got a lift into work on Tuesday and I almost gave in and took up the offer of a lift home, I underestimated how tired I would feel after a day at work! Anyway I was good and set off. It did feel hard going though and to make things worse after I'd been walking for about one and half miles it started raining and also, as usual, I needed the loo!!! Partly because of the rain and mostly because I wasn't sure I would make it to the next loo stop, I decided to jump on a bus! It wasn't as bad as it sounds though (honest) I only travelled about a mile by bus, to Hornchurch where I was able to use the toilet and then carried on and walked the rest of the way home... When I worked it out on the map my run website, I found that I had still walked 5 miles so I was not too disappointed with myself!!!!

I plan to walk on Saturday, probably only about 8 miles (strange how 8 miles seemed a long way not too long ago!!!) and then the LONG one on Bank Holiday Monday, 20 miles......

I'm planning to go shopping after work on Friday, I need to get a bum bag, some more track suit bottoms and I think I'll also look out for ideas for decorating my bra, I've got no idea what to do with it yet.....

Will try to update my blog as I do my walks this weekend, it's much easier that way.

Not long the big day (night) and I'm starting to get quite nervous about it, hopefully I'll feel better (or worse!) after the long 20 mile walk on Monday!!!

Happy walking ......

1 comment:

Paula said...

Sorry to hear you are having problems with blisters - but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel the same, if it wasn't for the blisters I'd be really confident about the walk. I'm doing 20 miles on Sunday so that will be a good indicator of how I'll be on the night I think!